As Alabama and Clemson battled for the National College Football Championship this week, I went ahead and made some Roll Tide Cranberry-Jalapeno Jelly. This jelly has deep red color, a sweet taste and a spicy kick, and it is a favorite. We prefer to spread this cranberry-jalapeno jelly over cream cheese and serve with crackers.
Congratulations to Alabama on the win! Roll Tide!
This is based on Steve Dowdney’s recipe on his blog here: http://puttingup.com/blog/2012/11/25/cranberry-pepper-jelly/. Thank you, Steve Dowdney, for creating some great recipes!
How to Make Roll Tide Cranberry-Jalapeno Jelly
From experience, I have found the following:
4 cups of cranberries = 1 pound of cranberries
2-2/3 cups of jalapenos = 1 pound of jalapeno peppers
- 4 cups cranberries, washed and rough chopped
- 3/4 cup (shy) jalapeno peppers, chopped fine (seeds and veins left in)
- 2 Tablespoons pepper flakes
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 13 cups white sugar
- 2 pouches liquid pectin (Certo)
- Chop the cranberries using a Ninja, Kitchen Aid or other processor.
- Remove the stem and chop the jalapenos using a Ninja Kitchen Aid or other processor. Leave the seeds and veins in the jalapenos.
- Add all of the ingredients to pot except the pectin.
- On high heat, stirring often, bring to a strong boil. Hold this boil for 1 minute.
- Add the pectin, return to a boil and hold the boil for exactly 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat.
- Pour the mixture into sterile 8 oz. canning jars.
- Wipe off the rim of the lids with a clean cloth.
- Seal the jars by using new, sterile lids and rings.
- Invert the jars for two minutes and shake periodically to disperse particles throughout each jar until jelling occurs.